LILLY CAKES, Specialty Desserts
It's definitely apparent that brides these days are looking for unique ideas for their wedding! Whether it be unique wedding invitations, wedding stationary, wedding place cards, or the dessert! Something to set their wedding apart! Lilly Cakes can do just that! Forget the traditional wedding cake and dig into these delicious bite size cakes. Lilly Cakes specializes in Cake pops and cupcakes for a creative take on the wedding cake. This is a growing trend in the wedding business and it's great to see this company excelling at it. Here is some more insight into the wedding dessert business from the owner herself, Kelly Siebens:
++ What inspired you to join the food industry?
- I previously worked in the beauty industry and was asked to make treats for a church function. From that day on Lillycakes started. We started with cakepops which is still the base of our business then added a whole menu of mouth watering single serving size desserts a couple years ago. That is what started me in the business but what has kept me going every day is the smile I see on my clients faces. That makes every minute worth it.
++ How long have you been working in this business?
- We have been in business since May 2010.
++ Can you tell me about one of your favorite weddings that you were apart of?
- Yikes..there are actually 2..The first was an outdoor wedding of an Indian gentleman and a jewish girl. It was in a barn setting and the wedding planner had every last detail taken care of for the 4 hour ceremony. We had traditional Indian food and a dessert destination bar that took your breath away.
The second was also an outdoor wedding which is not usually easy when you are dealing with chocolate. It was at a Blueberry farm in northern Indiana. They transformed the barn and yard into a wonderful stage with a huge tent and lots of twinkle lights. For the desserts we had a 3 layer cake decorated with sunflowers, blueberry cobbler in mini mason jars, cakepops and panna cotta. It was an amazing evening they finished with fireworks. Breathtaking!
++ What are some of the most unusual requests that you’ve had from brides?
- Unusual…hmmmm….Well, what I do is pretty straight forward but I would say probably always something strange with the favors for the table. Can you make the box look like a top hat kinda thing. Otherwise I have had some fabulous brides that give me their favorite desserts and let me design a bar around that.
++ What sets you a part from other wedding vendors?
- The biggest thing that sets me apart is the first question I ask the bride and groom…” What do YOU want? What are YOUR favorite desserts?” Because in the end it should be about what they like and, a part of them. We did a whole dessert destination bar with cheesecake..every kind you could imagine! I never have a menu you can choose from. Every single table or order I do is totally custom around the event.
++ What is the most full filling part about the catering process?
- The end result. The look on the face of my customers is irreplaceable. I have had 2 weddings where the groom has ordered the desserts and made the choices and both times they called me after and one groom said, “All I can say is..YUM” . That made my week!
++ Who are some of your favorite vendors and venues that you work with?
- By far Big Hatt Catering has been some of the funest and greatest people to work with. They do everything from BBQ tailgating parties to 150 person sit down gourmet meals. Amazing chefs!
Then there is Amy with Sugar Chic Designs. She always takes my desserts and makes them look more amazing than they taste. The dessert tables she designs are anything short of spectacular.
And Beth’s Table. WOW, she specializes in dinner parties and events where she comes in and makes the meal the centerpiece. The tablescapes and menus are genius and the level of food she includes is second to none.
I have the pleasure of working along side some amazing people. They have all made me want to achieve more and we, at Lillycakes, hope we can make alot of people say YUM this year.
++ Thanks so much, Lilly Cakes ++